Ingredients..checked✔steps..followed✔ outcome was looking nearly as same as shown in book..”Ultimate Bread”. My concern was with the texture so I googled out the Fan tans bread. Hey! Do you know there is a gambling game called ‘fan tan’; it’s like roulette. OK!the bread, it was turned out as it should be..soft,buttery, pull apart bread. They are from New England,sometimes called Yankee buttermilk rolls.
While I was going through the recipe,it reminded me of ‘chegodilu’..an Andhra snacks made with rice flour or all purpose flour. Taking an inspiration from that recipe I put some sesame seeds,cumin seeds,caraway seeds in the dough. Tastes really well. It can also be prepared in another variety..sweet or savory. Add some cinnamon & sugar or some garlic & parsley & cheese; bake it in the oven. These pretty looking rolls and it’s pull apart quality make perfect party fare on your party table!
- 1 1/4 tsp – active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp – sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp – buttermilk
- 2 3/4 cups – all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp – baking soda
- 1/2 tsp – salt
- 4 tbsp – melted butter
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar into buttermilk in a bowl. Stir to dissolve. Mix the flour,baking soda,and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the dissolved yeast and 2 tbsp of the melted butter.
- Mix in the flour to form a soft,moist dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead for 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in the clean bowl and cover with dish towl. Let it rise for about 1-1/2 hours. Punch down and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough in the rectangle shape and brush it with remaining butter. Cut it into 7 strips and place them in a stack.
- Turn each piece cut side up and pinch the underside together to seal. Place the rolls in the well buttered muffin tin and proof for 1 hour.
- Bake it in the preheated oven at 400℉ for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly,then serve still warm.