Cibatta..because it resembles a well-worn slipper. It is the prolonged rising and high liquid content that produce this very light bread,with it’s uniquely open and porous texture..precious air bubbles trapped inside. Starter is used to make this bread so you need to started a day in advance.
- 1/2 tsp – instant yeast
- 2/3 cup – water
- 3 tbsp – milk
- 1/4 tsp – honey or sugar
- 1 cup – all purpose flour
For the dough
- 1/2 tsp – dry yeast
- 1 cup – water
- 1/2 tbsp – olive oil
- 2 1/2 cup – all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp – salt
- To make the starter sprinkle the yeast into the water and milk in a large bowl. Let stand for 5 min,then add the honey or sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Mix in the flour to form a loose batter. Cover the bowl with dish towl and let it rise for overnight.
- To make the dough, sprinkle the yeast into the water in a small bowl. Let it stand for 5 min,then stir to dissolve. Add the dissolved yeast and olive oil to the starter and mix well.
- Mix in the flour and salt to form a wet,sticky dough. Beat steadily with a wooden spoon for 5 min,the dough will become springy and start to pull away from the sides of the bowl,but will remain too soft to knead.
- Cover the dough with a dish towel.Let rise until tripled in size and full of air bubbles,about 3 hours. Do not punch down the dough. Generously flour two baking sheets and have ready extra flour to dip your hands in.
- Use a dough scraper to divide the dough in half while in the bowl.Scoop half the dough out of the bowl onto one of the heavily floured baking sheets.
- Use well-floured hands to pull and stretch the dough to form a roughly rectangular loaf,about 12 inches long. Dust the loaf and your hands again with flour. Neaten and plump up the loaf by running your fingers down each side and gently tucking under the edges of the dough.
- Repeat step 7 with the other half of the dough.Leave the two loaves uncovered to proof for about 20 min;the loaves will spread out as well as rise.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 min, at 425 F until risen,golden,and hollow sounding when tapped underneath. Cool on a wire rack.