So,I am starting with my favorite bread.. “Mantovana bread”.It does not require much to accompany it. Toast it on a little bit of butter and it is ready to eat. Wonderful delicate,crispy crust and fine crumb, enriched with olive oil makes this bread one of its kind. It is from Mantua,Italy. Thats from where it has got it’s name, Mantovana.
You gonna need:
- Instant dry yeast – 1 1/4 tsp
- Water – 600ml
- Whole wheat flour – 175 g
- All purpose flour – 500 g
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Olive oil – 125 ml
- Mix the flours and salt in a large bowl.Make the well in the center and add 400 ml water, yeast in it.
- Draw enough of the flour into the well formed in center to form a soft paste. Cover the bowl and keep it for 20 min.
- Add olive oil in the frothy mixture. Mix the rest of the flour from the sides in the well.
- Add remaining water as needed tbsp by tbsp to form a very sticky dough.
- Turn the dough onto floured surface and knead about 10 min to form gluten in it.
- Keep the dough in a oiled bowl,cover it. Let it rise until doubled in size,for about 50 min.
- After that,punch it down and again cover it for 40 min.
- Punch down and form the dough into ball by smooth hands.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces and shape it into a long loaf.place it on a floured baking sheet and cover it for 15 min for proofing.
- Cut the top with scissor to create a design on top. And also it is help the bread to rise and expand without cracking along the sides or bottom.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 45 min at 400℉.
- Cool it on a wire rack.