This recipe is for that time when you have cabbage on hand and people around you finally take stand against your momo-making. Hehe..just kidding😝!(but it does happen with me😛). This crispy,spicy dish actually suits any occasion. Let it be a appetizer or a tea time snack or a part of your ‘one course meal’- a ‘thali’ system.
In India,we don’t have 3 course meal or 5 course meal. It is just a one course..in a one colorful,flavorful plate. A plate adorned with soup,salad,appetizers,sweets, pickle, roti, sabji, dal, rice etc etc. Really epitomizes “Unity in Diversity”! Everybody enjoys the meal the way they desire. Somebody prefers to eat roti or rice first; on the other hand somebody relish the sweet first; we eat aamras(a mango dessert) with roti, pickle with rice, in between papadam (and that too has large variety); personally I enjoy eating masala rice with jilebi(sweet) and I know some people who eat it with salad(koshimbir/raita). Yes😌..there is no order in eating your meal. There is really not a right or wrong way. It’s a customized way.oh!!actually it’s more of a ‘personalized’ way. If you want to know about them just attend any Indian function. You will get to know thousands of ways that are unimaginable.😀😀
Gobble down these spicy cabbage squares the way you want. As I said earlier there is not really a right or wrong way. But do make them. Some of you must be thinking why cabbage square?these are ‘kobichya vadya’. I know,I know! But you know how you people are about the ‘presentation of the dish’..its just one step ahead(I think😐!). The name of the recipe must sound tasty,intriguing. Not that there’s anything wrong with the previous name, it does sound mouthwatering..but not for all..right?? Hey..you should be agree with me on this😊. On this handshake, let’s begin with the recipe. Here it is.
- 1 cup – chopped cabbage
- ½ cup – besan/ gram flour
- ¼ cup – rice flour
- ¼ cup – wheat flour
- 3 nos. – green chillies
- 2 or 3 – cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp – cumin powder
- ½ tsp – coriander powder
- ¼ tsp – turmeric powder
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as needed
- Oil – to fry
- Put chopped cabbage, chopped garlic cloves, chopped green chillies, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt in a bowl and mix it well using you hand unless cabbage start releasing water.
- Add all flours in this bowl and mix it well. It should hold a shape. If needed add water tbsp by tbsp.
- Form it into rectangular shape and steam it in order to cook that. Let it be cool for some time. Then cut into small pieces.
- Heat some oil into the pan and shallow fry them.
- Serve hot. And don’t worry!these are not too spicy.